Date: Saturday, July 19, 2014, with mandatory pre-race meeting July 18, 2014
Race Start Location: Sandy Cove Beach, West Vancouver BC
Race Finish Location: Kitsilano Beach, Vancouver BC
Distance: 10 km (Solo and Relay option) – Course Map
- All Bay Challenge solo swimmers and relay teams are required to have their own support boat.
- The Bay Challenge is a wetsuit mandatory race.
Pre-Race Meeting Information
All swimmers and support crew MUST attend the pre-race meeting. Boat pilots will be required to produce a Canadian Boating License, as required by Transport Canada. Check here for more information.
Date: Friday July 18, 2014
Time: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Location: Kitsilano Beach - Map
- We will review the course and safety/emergency procedures in detail, and you will receive your race package and race numbers.
- All swimmers will sign a waiver and a $700.00 indemnification for the VHF radios VOWSA is providing.
- Remember to bring your dry bag to the pre-race meeting. Your dry bag will be securely stored overnight at Kitsilano Beach (if we do not have it, you will not have a warm change of clothes at the finish line!)
Registration is only available online – opens April 2014
NO LATE REGISTRATION & NO REGISTRATION ON DAY OF RACE.
All entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Check in times
- 6:30 am — Check-in begins for Solo & Relay participants
- 6:50 am — Check-in closes for Solo & Relay participants
Failure to check-in during the appropriate check-in period will result in entry cancellation.
Race Start Time
- 7:00 am — Solo & Relay start
Start times are approximate and may be delayed.
There are 2 safety cut-off points (marked on the map in Appendix I of the safety policy below) that if a swimmer fails to achieve they will have to abort their race.
- The first is a 2 hour limit to clear the ingress path for deep water vessels , the south side of this channel is marked by a large (~10’ tall) red tower buoy.
- The second is a 4 hour limit to make it inside the white markers at Kits Beach
For an overview of the event details, please review the 2013 Bay Challenge Safety Policy.
NEW: Every boat operator MUST have a on board a VHF radio, boater’s licence (PCOL) and Transport Canada approved Equipment. Failure to comply with any of these safety requirements will result in a disqualification from the race.
If you unsure about any of these requirements, please review the Bay Challenge Safety Policy prior to emailing VOWSA.racedirector “at” gmail.com with the subject line: Bay Challenge Safety Requirements
The Bay Challenge is a wetsuit mandatory race.
Don’t have a wetsuit? A great place to rent or purchase a wetsuit is West Point Multisport. They are located at 3780 West 10th Avenue (South side of the street, between Alma and Highbury). They also carry a wide selection of swim caps, goggles, swim suits and other swimming accessories, as well as triathlon products. You can contact them at 604-569-1102 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention you heard of them through VOWSA.
For more information, check out our wetsuit sponsor page.
VOWSA reserves the right to reschedule or cancel events if water conditions are unsafe. VOWSA reserves the right to refuse entry based on safety or health concerns or previous violations of official rules.